Monday, October 26, 2009

Are retailers going too far tracking our Web habits?

Article by Jayne O'Donnell

This article discusses monitoring online behavior by consumers. The article is very interesting and provides good facts as far as the percentage of people shopping online, how sales are affected, etc.

I think O'Donnell did a great job with this article because there is little critique I can find. The majority of facts are presented and both sides are well represented. The main issue I see is that it is very difficult to work through this article since it is somewhat lengthy and doesn't give the reader quick, clear paragraphs.

The article talks about privacy issues and the cons of Internet monitoring but also does discuss the pros. Yet, I feel as though the article lacks the information of the direction of the future. I'm not sure why this article is relevant to now because it doesn't leave me with what my role is or what is happening in the future. The topic is presented but the timeliness is lacking.

Also, the technological aspect of the article is present as far as the actual tracking and the use of cookies, yet this article is much more based on privacy invasion laws. I think the article would have worked better in a different beat with a more concise focus.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2009-10-25-retailers-tracking-web-behavior_N.htm


That's all for now folks

3 comments:

  1. whoops! I must have forgot to post it. I have added the link to the post now. Thanks for pointing that out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remote Wipe I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete