Thursday, October 15, 2009

After Vista, Windows 7 is a giant leap for Microsoft

Article by Edward C. Baig

Well, I'm taking on Baig's work again. His last piece I critiqued was his article on the dueling smartphones. I give his recent article on Windows 7 a MUCH better critique. I think he did a great job with this one.

The introduction is yet again, quite unappealing. I feel as though Baig is trying to be too funny and clever with his leads and attention grabbers. In this article, he starts off by talking about the release of Windows 7 right before Halloween. He then goes on to say things like, "the ghostbusters in Redmond will have exorcised a demon," "experienced the frights of Vista," "PC users found Vista so scary," and "Vista's replacement represents a monster leap forward." Really? These are just flat out cheesy.

I am a firm supporter of the clever leads of stories or even the sometimes cheesy comparisons. However, in this article I think Baig is trying much too hard and if he would have jumped into the meat of his story right away, I would have enjoyed it that much more.

However, once again, once you pass the weird comparisons, Baig does a great job of explaining the details of Windows 7. He goes into detail of the pros and cons and also cuts Windows some slack, since he is indeed a Mac fan.

I like how he gives very specific examples of features describing how they work and giving the reader a clear image of what this new program is like. As a reader, I feel very informed and knowledgeable about Windows 7 and I am intrigued to do further research.

The only other main flaw I find in Baig's article is his ending. I'm reading, reading, reading and then all of a sudden it just stops. I think short conclusions are the most effective if they are concise and do a good wrap up. However, Baig seems to just give up on his article as if he reached his word count and decided to stop without editing some of the meat out in order to wrap up the story better.

Overall, I say definitely worth the read.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2009-10-16-baig16_CV_N.htm

That's all for now folks

No comments:

Post a Comment